Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Garlic & Herb Tomatoes

There is a fabulous restaurant in the Twin Cities called Crave. While there, I ordered a delicious chicken breast with a side of garlic mashed potatoes. What made the garlic mashed potatoes so amazing was instead of a gravy or butter, they topped the potatoes with garlic herb tomatoes. (Yum!!) So, I was desperately hoping this recipe would give a similar flavor and it did not disappoint.

Garlic & Herb Tomatoes (Serves 6)

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
2 pints cherry (or grape) tomatoes
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan large enough to hold all the tomatoes in a single layer. Add the garlic to the oil and cook over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to lose their firm round shape. Sprinkle with additional chopped basil and parsley and serve hot or at room temperature.

Observations/Suggestions: The cooking time took much longer for me and I only made half the recipe. Due to time constraints, we actually ate them before they were completely softened. I probably gave it 10 minutes total, so be patient. Also, I would add more herbs. Perhaps the tomatoes would soak up more flavor as they softened, but I still feel that they could have used something else. Maybe add some balsamic vinegar? Just a thought.

Recommended? Yes. I will try them on top of garlic mashed potatoes next time and see if I can recreate my favorite side dish. Also, I think they would be delicious as a substitute for normal tomatoes in any recipe that could use a kick of flavor.

1 comment:

  1. These sound delicious. I am especially appreciating your photography. I hate recipes that sound great but have no pictures! Y ou are doing a nice job of adding visual appeal.

    ReplyDelete