Sunday, July 4, 2010

Kettle Corn -- My First Recipe Disaster!

Popcorn is one of my true food loves. It has been a constant classic in my home for as long as I can remember and it is a staple for nights/weekends. My recipe totally exists out of habit. The butter isn't measured, the salt isn't measured, and the popcorn is measured by the hot air popper cup. It is one of the few recipes that I add ingredients without needing to taste.

When I saw this recipe by an esteemed chef friend, I was immediately interested. (Plus, I'm going through a kettle corn phase due to the number of events we've been to lately!) Although I love my popcorn buttery and salty, I decided to try this recipe as an afternoon sweet 'n salty snack. And tragically, I ran into my first recipe disaster...

Kettle Corn

*You'll need a large pot with a handle or lid and a large bowl

Ingredients:
1/8 cup canola (coconut oil was suggested)
1/8 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/4 tsp salt

In a large pot, melt the oil and butter over high heat. Add the popcorn, sugar, and salt, and stir constantly until you see the first pop. Immediately turn off the heat, and vigorously shake the pot so the popcorn won't scorch. Transfer immediately to a large bowl.

Observations/Suggestions: FYI - I have a gas stove, so I'm not sure if that affected my recipe results or not. Everything was going well until the first pop. I followed the directions and started to shake my arms off only to realize that it was no longer popping. So, I hesitantly placed the mixture back on the burner and kept stirring it. (Note: Be careful, the oil mixture is extremely hot! I received four lovely burn welts during the stirring process.) Finally, after some minor additionally popping, I decided that the mixture must be hot enough and began shaking again only to realize that the mixture was semi-stuck to the bottom of the pan. So, I proceeded to shake it upside down. By this point, I realized that the popcorn was scorched and shamefully put it on the deck to cool off. Fortunately, the lid was on for the last part so the smell did not permeate our kitchen. Whew!

Recommended? Wholeheartedly yes. Just because I ruined this batch does not mean that it's a bad recipe or not worth trying. I know the chef and she is amazing, so I trust this recipe. I encourage you to try it and share your tips, suggestions, techniques, etc. I want to try it again and will not be defeated, so I need your help!

*No image was included for this recipe because the popcorn looked pretty ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment